West Erie Presbyterian Church is a member of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)(www.pcanet.org) located in Erie, Pennsylvania. We are an Evangelical and Reformed denomination and church.
- We are Historically Reformed
- This means that we believe in the inspired and inerrant Word of God.
- This means we believe in the absolute sovereignty of God.
- This means we hold to a covenantal framework of Scripture.
- This means that we believe that salvation is a free gift of God.
- We are Compassionate
- We seek to share the only hope that this world has: that is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- We seek to be a church that is salt and light to the community around us and fulfill the Great Commission.
- We are Confessional
- As a Christian church, ancient statements such as the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed help us to confess certain basic and essential truths of the Christian faith.
- As a Presbyterian church, our confessional or doctrinal standards consist of the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Westminster Larger and Shorter Catechisms (copies of these documents are available from the church).
- All of these statements are under the authority of Scripture
The History of West Erie Presbyterian Church
In 1997, a small group of believers from Faith Reformed Church in Harborcreek, PA set out as a church plant. They started meeting for their worship services and weekly Bible study in the Knights’ home. This continued for three years, and called themselves West Erie Bible Church. They grew and began looking for a church building. Jerry felt called to do ministry in the inner city of Erie, so the search began for a suitable building. The only place the group could find was a worn down old ice house in downtown Erie. It needed a lot of work but between the hard work and financial resources of the few who set out from Faith Reformed Church, the work was completed, and the church began meeting there. On September 19, 1999 West Erie Bible Church became a particular church in the Presbyterian Church of America. They immediately began to share the Gospel in the neighborhood. They went witnessing, doing Vacation Bible School programs, and other outreach. They continued with Jerry Knight as their Pastor for about ten years until Jerry felt called teach in Africa in January 2009. After this, they were without a pastor for about a year until they contacted Ted Powers of Mission to North America (the PCA’s church planting organization). Ted gave the elders Marc Miller’s resume. They interviewed him, and eventually extended the call to him in May 2010. He moved to Erie and began preaching in August 2010, and was ordained January 30, 2011. With a new pastor they left the downtown area and moved out to Millcreek where they rent a school for Sunday Worship. They also have a midweek prayer meeting/Bible study. The old building in downtown Erie is still in use as a new church “Straight Way Narrow Gate” ministry is meeting there.
Mission Statement of West Erie Presbyterian Church (PCA):
West Erie Presbyterian Church exists to glorify God and to compassionately share the Gospel so that lives are being transformed and the world is being impacted for Christ